Nathan Palmer earned his Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in 2017. His research focuses on how individuals perceive and understand inequality and social structure, how the sociological imagination develops from novice to expert, inequality, and social networking in higher and environmental sociology. Dr. Palmer frequently speaks publicly about overcoming academic adversity, social inequality, racism, and effective teaching. He served as a section editor for the ASA Journal Contexts from 2015-2017. Dr. Palmer also created SociologySource.org to provide resources for sociology educators and SociologyInFocus.com to support sociology students’ learning. He was named the 2014 Wells Warren Georgia Southern Professor of the Year and was honored with the Randolph S. Gunter Eagles in Diversity Distinguished Faculty Award twice (2014 & 2015).
- Palmer, Nathan. 2022. “Social Location, Ideology, and Undergraduate Explanations of Social Inequality.” Sociation 21(2):38-51.
- Palmer, Nathan. 2022. “The Sociological Imagination Within Teaching Sociology: 1973–2020.” Teaching Sociology 51(1):1-12.
- Schueths, April and Nathan Palmer. 2021. “Family Preservation Strategies: Regendering Labor in Mixed-Status Marriage After Co-Deportation.” Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare 48(1):57-81.
- Palmer, Nathan, Ted Brimeyer, and April M. Schueths. 2018. “Do Open Educational Resources Help Contingent Sociology Faculty Acquire Teaching Resources and Form Collegial Relationships?” The American Sociologist 49(1):119-134.
- Palmer, Nathan and April M. Schueths. 2013. “Online Teaching Communities within Sociology: A Counter Trend to the Marketization of Higher Education.” Teaching in Higher Education 18(7): 809-820.
- J. Allen Williams Jr., Christopher Podeschi, Nathan Palmer, Philip Schwadel and Deanna Meyler. 2012 “The Human-Environment Dialog in Award-winning Children’s Picture Books.” Sociological Inquiry 82(1): 145–159.
|Intro to Sociology (Soci1101)|
Data Analysis (Soci2434)
Social Problems (Soci3336)
Environmental Sociology (3435)
Sociology of Education (Soci5094G)
|Sociology of Education (Soci5094G)|
Awards & Honors
- 2019 – College of Behavioral and Social Sciences, Award for Distinction in Teaching, Georgia Southern University.
- 2018 – SoTL Fellowship, Georgia Southern University
- 2015 – J.J. and Eleanor S. Ogle Fellowship, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2015 – Randolph S. Gunter Distinguished Faculty: Eagles of Diversity Award, Georgia Southern University.
- 2014 – Wells-Warren Professor of the Year, Georgia Southern University.
- 2014 – Randolph S. Gunter Distinguished Faculty: Eagles of Diversity Award, Georgia Southern University.
- 2012 – College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Award for Distinction in Teaching, Georgia Southern University
- 2011 – SAGE/Pine Forge Teaching Innovations and Professional Development Award
Last updated: 8/10/2023