Nathan Palmer earned his PhD in Sociology from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in 2017. His research interests focus on how individuals perceive and understand social structure, inequality in higher education, social networking within higher education, and environmental sociology. He also frequently speaks publicly about racism, social media, and teaching. Currently Nathan is the teaching and learning section editor for the ASA journal Contexts. He is also the creator/editor-in-chief of SociologySource.org and SociologyInFocus.com. In 2014 Nathan was named the Wells Warren Georgia Southern Professor of the Year. In 2014 and 2015 he received the Randolph S. Gunter Eagles in Diversity Distinguished Faculty Award.
- Palmer, Nathan. 2022. “Social Location, Ideology, and Undergraduate Explanations of Social Inequality.” Sociation. (Forthcoming).
- Palmer, Nathan. 2022. “The Sociological Imagination Within Teaching Sociology: 1973–2020.” Teaching Sociology. (Forthcoming).
- Schueths, April and Nathan Palmer. 2021. “Family Preservation Strategies: Regendering Labor in Mixed-Status Marriage After Co-Deportation.” Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare 48(1):57-81.
- Palmer, Nathan, Ted Brimeyer, and April M. Schueths. 2018. “Do Open Educational Resources Help Contingent Sociology Faculty Acquire Teaching Resources and Form Collegial Relationships?” The American Sociologist 49(1):119-134.
- Palmer, Nathan and April M. Schueths. 2013. “Online Teaching Communities within Sociology: A Counter Trend to the Marketization of Higher Education.” Teaching in Higher Education 18(7): 809-820.
- J. Allen Williams Jr., Christopher Podeschi, Nathan Palmer, Philip Schwadel and Deanna Meyler. 2012 “The Human-Environment Dialog in Award-winning Children’s Picture Books.” Sociological Inquiry 82(1): 145–159.
Undergraduate: Intro to Sociology (Soci1101), Data Analysis (Soci2434), Social Problems (Soci3336), Environmental Sociology (3435), Sociology of Education (Soci5094G).
Graduate: Sociology of Education (Soci5094G).
Awards & Honors
- 2019 – College of Behavioral and Social Sciences,Award for Distinction in Teaching, Georgia Southern University.
- 2018 – SoTL Fellowship, Georgia Southern University
- 2015 – J.J. and Eleanor S. Ogle Fellowship, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2015 – Randolph S. Gunter Distinguished Faculty: Eagles of Diversity Award, Georgia Southern University.
- 2014 – Wells-Warren Professor of the Year, Georgia Southern University.
- 2014 – Randolph S. Gunter Distinguished Faculty: Eagles of Diversity Award, Georgia Southern University.
- 2012 – College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Award for Distinction in Teaching, Georgia Southern University
- 2011 – SAGE/Pine Forge Teaching Innovations and Professional Development Award
Last updated: 12/12/2022