Dr. Nalanda Roy
Dr. Nalanda Roy is an Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science and International Studies and the Coordinator of the Asian Studies program at Georgia Southern University. She is the Certified Diversity Executive, and the Inclusive Excellence Faculty Fellow at GSU. Nalanda is the recipient of the Dr. Saba Jallow Inclusion Champion award, the Award of Excellence and Georgia Southern’s Women in Research Soar, and the Campus Museum of Service Award for creating the An Integral History: Asian Studies Digital Archive at GSU.
She is the author of several books including Bitter Moments — The Story of Indonesian Fragmentation, The South China Sea Disputes — Past, Present, and Future, Exploring the Tripod: Immigration, Security, and Economy in the Post-9/11, and Navigating Uncertainty in the South China Sea Disputes: An Interdisciplinary Perspective, and Nonviolent Resistances in the Contemporary World: Case Studies from India, Poland, and Turkey. She is the author of numerous journal articles and book chapters. Roy served as the section program chair for International Studies Association’s (ISA) South Asia in World Politics. Nalanda is the associate editor of the Journal of Asian Security and International Affairs, and serves on several editorial boards, like Oxford Research, Encyclopedia of International Studies (OREIS), the International Studies Review, Perspectives on Global Development and Technology, Journal of the Royal Society for Asian Affairs, and South Asian Survey.
Nalanda serves as a visiting scholar with the Center for Genocide and Human Rights, Rutgers University. She was appointed as the Adjunct Professor, FORE School of Management, New Delhi, and a Distinguished Visiting Professor at The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences in India. Nalanda has served on the board of directors with the City of Savannah and worked for the Greater Savannah International Alliance (GSIA) as the Chair of the Asian committee.
- Women in Leadership Program, SC Johnson College of Business, Cornell University, New York, 2019.
- Ph. D., Global Affairs, Rutgers University, New Jersey, Excellence Fellow, 2013.
- M.A., Sociology and Anthropology, University of Toledo, Ohio. Summa cum laude, 2008.
- M. Phil., International Relations, Jadavpur University, University Grants Commission Fellow, (First Class Honors), India, 2004.
- M.A., International Relations, Jadavpur University, Full Scholarship, India (First Class Honors), 2001.
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Jadavpur University, Full Scholarship, India (First Class Honors), 1999.
Research and Teaching Interests
Global affairs, comparative politics, international relations, Area Studies (South, Southeast Asia, Asia Pacific), international law and security, maritime security, digital community, social movements, human rights, genocide, and open educational resources (OER) in pedagogy.
Last updated: 8/25/2023