Skip to main content

Interior Design Program Accreditation

Georgia Southern University has held accreditation by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA, formerly FIDER) since 2000. The Interior Design Program is also accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). The program complies with eligibility requirements through its accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (recognized by the U.S. Department of Education) to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialists and doctoral degrees. CIDA brings professionalism and quality to interior design programs by identifying, developing and promoting quality standards for the education of entry-level interior designers. As a leader in the interior design profession, the Council is the primary accrediting agency for interior design education, leading the profession to excellence by setting standards and evaluating academic programs in interior design.

The Interior Design Program leading to the Bachelor of Science Degree in Interior Design, is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, www.accredite-id.org, 206 Grandville Avenue, Suite 350, Grand Rapids, MI, 49503.

The CIDA -accredited program prepares students for entry-level interior design practice, for advanced study, and to apply for membership in professional interior design organizations. The first Bachelor of Science Degree in Interior Design granted by Georgia Southern University meets the educational requirements for eligibility to sit for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification Examination (NCIDQ Exam). For more information about NCIDQ Exam eligibility visit: https://www.cidq.org/eligibility-requirements.

There are over 150 programs accredited under The Council for Interior Design Accreditation Professional Standards. We are one of the sixth accredited programs in Georgia; one of only two public institutions and the only accredited institution in Georgia south of Atlanta.

The Interior Design Program leading to the School of Human Ecology is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation,



Student Achievement Data

Georgia Southern University, Interior Design Program, Bachelor of Science

It typically takes a full-time student taking approximately 15 credits per semester (15-18 credits) and four years to complete the degree program.

The following data was collected using institutional records, two exit surveys (administered by the program and GS), and an alumni survey administered by the program.

Student Attrition and Retention

87.5% students admitted into Studio I in the fall of 2019 (21 of 24) returned in the fall of 2020 putting attrition at 12.5%.

Graduation Rates:

Of the students graduating in academic year 2020, 100% (n=28) graduated in 4 years or less from starting in the program.

Acceptance into Graduate Programs:

26 out of 29 2020 graduates responded to the program exit survey. Two out of 26 students in 2020 applied to graduate school and both were accepted. Thus, 7% of students who graduated in 2020 applied for graduate school, and of those 100% were accepted.

Job Placement Rates:

As of May 2021

95% of the 22 students who graduated in 2018 are employed in interior design or a related profession.

77%* of the 30 students who graduated in 2019 (and not in graduate school) are employed in interior design or a related profession.

56%* of the 27 students who graduated in 2020 (and not in graduate school) are employed in interior design or a related profession. 4 of the 30 students (15%) had non-design related jobs. Total employment rate of 71% as of May 2021.

* This is greatly influenced by COVID-19 restrictions.

 *data current as of 5/11/2021
Please visit the CIDA website for more information.

CIDA Professional Standards

There are sixteen standards divided into four sections. In order to be accredited, a program must comply or partially comply with all sixteen standards. Compliance with standards is measured by student learning and program expectations. Judgment of compliance is based on the expertise of experienced peer evaluators and precedent in accreditation.

Comprehensive Program Review

Professional Licensure and Registration

The State of Georgia has title act legislation. To identify oneself as a registered or licensed interior designer in the State of Georgia, interior designers must provide proof of a minimum of a four-year program or post-professional degree from a college or university with a program accredited by CIDA (Council of Interior Design Accreditation), NASAD (National Association of Schools of art and Design) or NAAB (National Architectural Accrediting Board) in addition to passing the NCIDQ exam. See the Georgia Secretary of State website for professional licensing information.

Last updated: 5/11/2021