The final step before graduation is a semester-long internship in the fashion merchandising and apparel design field. The internship (FMAD 4790) is 12 credit hours and cannot be taken with other coursework or academic requirements. The student is responsible for registering for FMAD 4790 but will be denied eligibility if he/she has not successfully fulfilled all academic requirements prior to registering for the course. The internship must be a full-time position, paying or non-paying, at 35 to 40 hours per week. Merchandising emphasis students can work in any capacity in fashion or related industries. Design emphasis students must intern in a design-related position. All internships must have prior approval from the internship professor.
Students must attend an information session the semester prior to the semester he/she will complete their internship. During the information session, students will receive pertinent information regarding their internship.
Current Job Options
Internship Scholarship Program
About the Scholarship
The Internship Scholarship Program (ISP), offered by the Office of Career and Professional Development (OCPD), provides scholarships for career-related internships. Beginning in Summer 2019, the OCPD has provided unrestricted awards of up to $3,000 to offset the cost of professional internships that provide minimal or no compensation. Starting in Fall 2022, these internship scholarships will be available to students every academic semester.
- Must be an undergraduate student in good standing and completed at least 30 credit hours, or a graduate student in good standing.
- Plan to complete and have secured an internship that is at least six weeks in length and a minimum of 240 hours.
- The internship meets NACE internship guidelines.
- Must not have received an ISP award previously.
Applications will include the following:
- Application via Google Form
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation
- An estimated budget of how scholarship money would be used; click here for a sample budget spreadsheet
- WINGS Financial Aid award information (screenshots are allowed)
Recent Internship Sites
|Fashion Merchandising and Apparel Design|
Tom James Company
|Long Slow Exhale, Paramount Pictures, Costume PA|
|Mamie Ruth and M. Liz Jewelry Studios & Boutique|
|Forever 21 – Carolina Place Mall|
|AmericaMart/ Atlanta Apparel|
|Naked South Boutique|
|The White Magnolia, Savannah, Georgia|
|Madame Couture Boutique|
|The Posh Loft LLC|
|Beloved The Label|
|Sparkle & Sass|
|House of Perna|
|Kyndal Day Personal Stylist|
|Ex Voto Vintage|
|Girlie Girl Prom|
|Hannah Gotz Studio|
|Bel Fiore Bridal|
|Bel Fiore Bridal|
Last updated: 8/23/2023